Saturday, November 28, 2009

So close to home...

written on the evening of November 27, 2009
As I write this, wanda is laughing hysterically and erin is enjoying the music selections of our current ICE train…sounds likes a little opera or perhaps it was jazz…it’s difficult to tell through the ear phones. Mo is sleeping once again; how I have envied her ability to fall asleep anywhere on this trip…such a wonderful skill. I am saying good-bye to Germany …we have just stopped at the last German station and are now moving into French territory once again. I know that I do not need to state the obvious but alas, still I will…we are heading west…WEST! This would indicate that perhaps we are making our way home and it is indeed true. Thus, it is a mix of emotions that accompanies me on this late night journey. I have enjoyed and experienced more than I could expect on this trip and I am sad to leave the continent that has been the site for so much learning, fun, growth, and stuff I can’t really even explain. I am sad to say goodbye to the wonderful people we have met …there are still such kind people in this world and I am thankful , so thankful for that. If I haven’t said it before, I will say it now, this trip has taught me what it is to be truly hospitable. Something I do not take lightly. Yet, as I reflect on the wonderful things that these last three months have been I cannot help but feel crazy excitement for if it truly has been three months then that means that so soon will I be home!!! HOME!!!! I have always had a deep love for my family but I have never appreciated and missed them as much as I have over these last three months. There is a reason why God gave us family. I am sooo thrilled to see them again; to be there in body, not just in spirit. I am also so excited to find my way back into a community once again. As much as I have enjoyed wandering wherever the train takes us, I will admit that I am actually looking forward to being in one place for an extended amount of time. A place where I can continue in friendships that will last longer than most of our two day hostel stays. All this awaits us but there is much we have to say goodbye to as well. Just a bit of what is running through my mind tonight. We are heading to Paris, but this trip will be much quicker than our last. We are just stopping there to sleep and we will be off tomorrow morning to the port which will take us back to the UK. This is where we will once again visit some of the sweetest people: John and Sue (we can’t wait to see you again!!) We hope to visit London once more before we fly away…see it in a different light…these being Christmas lights! Pardon the pun, Erin and Wanda are rubbing off on me. So, I will now return to the company of my great friends (Wanda is teaching Erin a little sign language…we’re all about education here) So soon will we be in Canada once again and I can tell you that all four of us are very excited to see our great land , perhaps covered in a bit of snow. See you soon!!!
Mel

1 comment:

  1. Hey you guys! I'm so glad to hear that you have had an amazing experience! Me and my mom talk often how wierd it is to go to church and look around and not see your 4 beautiful faces. She will lean over to me and say "It's so wierd to not see the "king's" girls here!" I agree. I love to hear that this trip has been a time of "learning, growth, fun, and stuff you can't explain". I'm excited to see you guys! I'm excited to hear a little about your time - though I'm sure it's going to be overwhelming with everyone wanting to hear also! Know that you are missed in our congregation and we are so excited to see you back, but so happy to know that you have had this experience! Love you four very much! Enjoy the rest of your time in Europe and travel safely home! Angie

    ReplyDelete