Thursday, September 24, 2009

Guten Tag, Meine Freunde

Wanda is reading her book, Erin is sitting on the windowsill overlooking a main Frankfurt street, and Mo is reading by the window as well. This is how we are spending a Thursday evening in Frankfurt. Some man is singing in a language I don't understand over the speaker as I watch life go by outside our hostel windows. I apologize for how long it has taken me to let you in on the adventures which have made up the last week or so...I honestly don't remember the last thing we wrote about on here so forgive me if I repeat. We flew into Frankfurt from Edinburgh yesterday afternoon. Let me say this, we stayed in Scotland longer than we expected because we absolutely loved it. When we first arrived in Scotland we made our way to Aberdeen where we stayed with friends of mine (Mel), Wes and Nicole. That was absolutely fantastic!! What a beautiful city, what wonderful company, how brilliant to be staying in a home once again. It was a great 5 days. We walked down to the North Sea and spent an afternoon there, spent some time wandering through shops. We did laundry. Overall, a very relaxing and beautiful few days. We then made our way to Edinburgh where we found the most incredible Starbucks ever!! The staff knew us by the time we left 5 days later...yup, embarrassing. Edinburgh is the craziest city ever, with a castle on a cliff in the city center and another ridge cliff face thing that we climbed also in the city center. You should most definitly check it out sometime. We met some fantastic people along the way as well. My description of the last 2 weeks is not nearly sufficient but I'm sure the other girls will drop in with their views of the last little bit. Just a note from me...something that's been running around in my head and I thought I would just put it out there...Saturday evenings we usually pick a random church to visit the next morning in whatever city we are inhabiting at the time. We have only been gone for three Sundays but I will say this, Sunday morning is one of my favorite times. It is incredible to me how we are half way around the world but on a Sunday morning we can gather with our brothers and sisters and it really feels as though we are family. When I walk into a church it is as though I can breathe a sigh of relief for it feels safe and warm and , for the most part, friendly. When the music starts, whether the words are familiar or not, the songs bring to life a deeper song within me. There is life in those songs, in the scripture that is read, and in the fellowship after the service (I have never appreciated people reaching out more). The church is a treasure. This has been made so incredibly clear to me in the last bit. I am so grateful that God has called us to be the church, to be family to each other. This is a gift. There is more to say but that's just a bit of what I have realized. One day, maybe I can say more. I hope that this post finds you doing well. From the beautiful streets of Germany, Aufwedersehen.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you, such a positive update too. Lots of love John & sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mel. I am so glad to hear from you and I love your ramble about the church. Its so true what you said. We are all a family. Love you!

    ReplyDelete